Practice the 4 D's of Prevention!
• Use Deet or an alternative;
• Dress in long sleeves and pants;
• Avoid Dusk until Dawn; and
• Drain standing water.
Spray Notification - Week of July 25, 2016:
Six areas are scheduled for spraying on Thursday night, July 28 at dusk (weather permitting). See map area boundaries by clicking on the map number in parenthesis.
- Jim Hamm (LM-03)
- Sandstone Ranch (LM-22)
- Union Reservoir (LM-23)
- Great Western (LM-27)
- St. Vrain Greenway (LM-28)
- Rough and Ready (LM-43)
Check this web page every week for spray notifications. Sign up for West Nile Virus spray e-notifications sent directly to your email address.
2016 West Nile Virus News Releases:
- 7-14-16 Mosquito Pool in Longmont Tests Positive for West Nile Virus
- 7-12-16 West Nile Spraying Begins Thursday Night, July 14
Mosquito Control Strategy
The City of Longmont has contracted with Colorado Mosquito Control to implement an "integrated pest management program" to combat mosquitoes that might carry the West Nile Virus. This program focuses on first attacking mosquitoes in their larval stage before they become airborne. This is the best method since it eliminates mosquitoes before they hatch. This method also minimizes fogging to kill the adult, airborne bugs.
- Get a quick glimpse of the risk indicator updated throughout the mosquito season - low, moderate, or severe (as seen above).
- See weekly trap reports from Colorado Mosquito Control
- Call Notification & Shutoff Request Form from Colorado Mosquito Control - This form allows an individual to be added to their Call Notification or Shutoff List in case of spraying.
- To report problem areas in your neighborhood or to be notified of the spraying schedule call Colorado Mosquito Control at (970) 962-2582.
- Read the 2015 City of Longmont Mosquito Control Program Annual Report
- Read the 2014 City of Longmont Mosquito Control Program Annual Report
- See overview video of Longmont's mosquito strategy (below).
VIDEO - Mosquito Trap Areas in Longmont: Every Sunday night during the summer, Longmont checks mosquito traps for West Nile Mosquitoes. If it becomes necessary to spray for mosquitoes, it will happen on Thursday nights, weather permitting.
VIDEO - Fight the Bite in Longmont : The City of Longmont reminds residents to follow the 4Ds of prevention to protect against mosquitoes that might carry the West Nile virus.
Spray Area Maps
Below are maps of typical mosquito "hotspots" around Longmont. When local spraying is needed it will be concentrated to specific predetermined areas. Spraying typically occurs on Thursday nights (weather permitting). Click on the map links to see specific boundaries and streets.
|Ute Creek Drive, County Line Road||LM-03|
|Venice Street, 15th Avenue, Coffman Street, 10th Avenue||LM-09|
|Spencer Street, 24th Avenue, Francis Street, 17th Avenue||LM-10|
|Airport Road, HWY 66, Lake Park Drive, McIntosh Lake||LM-17|
|Airport Road, Baylor Drive, Princeton Drive, Fordham Street, 9th Avenue||LM-18|
|Great Western Drive, HWY 119||LM-22|
|County Line Road, Union Reservoir||LM-23|
|County Line Road||LM-27|
|1st Avenue, 3rd Avenue, Nelson Road||LM-28|
|95th Street, Pike Road||LM-31|
|Grandview Meadows Drive, Nelson Road, Clover Basin Drive||LM-34|
|Collyer Street, 17th Avenue, Alpine Street, Mountain View Avenue||LM-40|
|Collyer Street, 21st Avenue, Alpine Street, 17th Avenue||LM-41|
|Hover Street, 1st Avenue, Boston Avenue||LM-42|
|Alpine Street, Mountain View Avenue, 9th Avenue||LM-43|
|Clover Basin Drive, Airport Road, Glenneyre Drive, Renaissance Drive, Pike Road||LM-44|
The City of Longmont offers an email alert system that provides customers with up-to-date information on a variety of topics including West Nile Virus. If you have an email account at home or work, you will be able to take advantage of notices sent directly to your e-mail address. Go to the eNotification subscription page now to sign-up and choose the type of news you would like to receive.
Practice the 4 D's of Prevention!
- Use Deet or an alternative;
- Dress in long sleeves and pants;
- Avoid Dusk until Dawn; and
- Drain standing water.
- State Department of Public Health and Environment's West Nile virus information hotline (303) 692-2799
- For information in Boulder County, contact the Boulder County Health Department at 303-441-1564 or communicable diseases at (303) 413-7500
- Colorado Mosquito Control (970) 962-2582
Links to More Information
- Boulder County West Nile Website
- Fight The Bite Website - State wide website regarding West Nile Virus Prevention Program
- State of Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment Information on West Nile Virus
- Federal - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); West Nile Virus video from CDC